For a law firm, a lot rests on getting its legal documents right, both in terms of the advice given and the way that advice is presented. DocXtools has been designed to fill functionality gaps in Microsoft Word and simplify the drafting process, helping law firms to achieve greater drafting efficiency and document quality.
Think of a typical document. Between starting (which may just be resaving a similar document rather than starting from scratch) and reaching the client, the document may pass through many people, each with varying skill levels, track changes and comparison software.
A fee earner will frequently encounter issues with Word during the drafting process – incorrect document ID, missing page numbers, editing on a mobile device, using the client’s documents – often attempting to fix these on his own. Dealing with an unstable or corrupt document can easily result in 30-60 minutes wrestling with Word, which may not be billable to the client.
Deployed in combination with Intelligent Office’s high-quality document production specialists, DocXtools makes formatting errors and inconsistencies a thing of the past. We have our own in-house DocXtools trainer – Implementation Manager and document production expert Shaun Holley – who works very closely with Microsystems.
DocXtools enables you to:
- Safely reuse an old, scanned, or converted document
- Quickly convert a document from older file formats
- More efficiently reformat documents
- Apply automated numbering to a document without having to understand complex numbering schemes
- Build hyperlinked cross references in a fraction of the time it takes using Word alone
- Employ a one-click method to apply preferred branding to incoming, re-used, or externally sourced documents
- Batch conversion of precedents or form agreements ensures a brand-approved starting point for new documents
- Deliver a comparison output in the form of tracked changes instead of a static redline report for optimal collaboration
- Launch a comparison directly from Outlook or the DMS and have greater flexibility and convenience for delivering and saving document changes
- Evaluate and repair unstable documents and restyle improperly formatted documents in a fraction of the time over manual methods
The big difference between DocXtools and off-the-shelf equivalents is that it can be tailored to your house styles, with programmable buttons to enable quick fixes when documents need drafting, fixing, reformatting and rebuilding. You can also set access levels so that your document production specialists have full access, while fee earners see a more limited range of options.
It is user-friendly and helps to ensure document consistency and quality, along with increasing productivity. When a fee earner says, “Please fix the numbering in this document”, he has client deadlines to meet but doesn’t really know how complex a fix is required. What might have taken half a day can be corrected in half an hour using DocXtools.
DocXtools can significantly reduce the amount of time required to complete tasks that occur during